Forward thinking sci-fi and fantasy writers interested in alternate realities as realized through story (especially narrative fiction), with a keen interest in finding and fostering new, high quality, independent voices.

Monday, April 9, 2012

A seed took root...

Tommy Armour, published after he won the 1927 ...
Tommy Armour, published after he won the 1927 U.S. Open. Original caption read: "Tom Armour wins U.S. golf title by defeating Harry Cooper". (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I was living the high life, but making a dismal amount of money. It was barely enough to live on. A rude awakening indeed! Like many other players, I needed to find a job off-season to make ends meet.
"You should apply to the local jail!" a friend said after a particularly good swing on the golf course.
"The local jail?" I said, teeing up.
"Yeah, they like professional athletes," he said, leaning on his club. "Not only do you have the physical advantage, but the kids sometimes look up to you guys."
I swung and watched the ball disappear from view.
"Nice one!" My friend said.
I stared out in the distance, over the rolling hills and sand pits. Tommy's smiling face came back to me. Working with youth. I smiled at the notion. This might be the opportunity I had been looking for. Not only could it the chance to pay forward the support I got from my family growing up, but it could also be the way to pay homage to the little boy I had met that sunny afternoon in California. The seed that Tommy had planted had taken root.
I went over to the youth facility with the intention of applying for the job. I'm not sure what I had envisioned on my way there, but what I found walking in was not it. Chaos reigned. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment